Monday 8 February 2016

Fear, greed and inertia

I've often heard it said that our aversion to change is something instinctive, even natural.

Our brains have evolved from those of more primitive animals who needed most of all to detect threats in order to survive. Now, we use them creatively, proactively; but vestiges remain of the basic defensive mechanisms.

A quick Google search comes up with, for example, this article, "Accommodating new behaviours".

Even when our basic needs or instincts don't over-ride pure intellectual decision-making, they are always there in the background, as part of our thinking.

It's not worth over-doing, but as a very quick check that a communication will be acted on, I've found myself asking "fear or greed?" At the most basic level, every message appeals to one or both - what is there to gain or lose? It's the "what's in it for me?" test.

Am I being a bit hard on people? What about curiosity, loyalty, or a desire to help? Don't people respond to messages in these ways?

I think the answer is 'yes, but not as much'. And let's chuck in another one: laziness.

But communicators know that inertia is just as useful a guide to building campaigns as fear or greed: make the message as easy as possible to consume; publish it at point of use so it's less of a problem if they forget it; wrap it up with other messages or into a story so it's more memorable; or make it the default option and just say they have the option of changing.

I have to admit, I'm just as lazy, fearful and greedy as the next person. But at least that means I have a ready-made subject on which to test any communication - myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment